Watch CBS News

2 Dead, 1 Injured In SF JewelryMart Shooting; Suspect Arrested

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) - Two people died and a third was wounded in a shooting and possible stabbing at a jewelry store in San Francisco's South of Market neighborhood Friday afternoon, police Chief Greg Suhr said.

The shooting was reported just after 2 p.m. at the GiftCenter & JewelryMart at 888 Brannan Street. Police arrived to find a male suspect covered in blood who took out a firearm and fired at the officers, police spokesman Officer Albie Esparza said.

The suspect then headed west on Brannan Street and continued shooting but eventually surrendered and was taken into custody, Esparza said.

Police then entered the JewelryMart to find two women dead in a gold buying store named Victoga, according to Police Chief Greg Suhr.

A male victim was also found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to San Francisco General Hospital in stable condition, Suhr said.

It was not immediately clear if the victims had any prior relationship to the shooter.

Esparza said no officers were injured and that police did not return fire at the suspect, whose name was not immediately available.

KPIX 5's Linda Yee reported that a four block area around the center was closed and SWAT officers were on the scene as of 3 p.m. searching for a possible second suspect. However, Chief Suhr said that surveillance images indicated that there was likely only one gunman.

The GiftCenter & JewelryMart is a shopping complex featuring various gift and jewelry showrooms. The public is allowed in with an appointment, but its not open to the public in the same way as a typical shopping mall.

Employees of nearby businesses such as REI, and Zynga were ordered to shelter in place during the search.

Maggie, a 27-year-old San Francisco resident who did not want to give her last name, said she was in a bridal boutique at 888 Brannan St. when employees turned out the lights and told everyone to go to the back of the store.

"We were all scared and freaking out," she said.

Another woman, a 23-year-old Orinda resident who did not want to give her name, was in another jewelry store in the complex to look at engagement rings and heard the gunshots, then heard a man crying out for help.

The visibly rattled woman said, "I'm so happy to be alive" and said she was never coming back to San Francisco again.

Suhr said police have recovered a revolver and folding knife investigators believe were used in the attacks.

He said the names of the deceased victims are not being released until their families are notified of the deaths.

(Copyright 2013 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.