Sac Firefighters Warn Of Drastic Cuts If Budget Passed
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – Sacramento firefighters are warning of drastic cuts to specialized programs like water, boat and trench rescue if the current proposed budget is passed by the City Council.
According to the Sacramento Area Firefighters union, the Sacramento Fire Department will discontinue all specialized rescue programs, including Confined Space, High-Angle, Swift-Water, Boat, and Trench Rescue, beginning July 1. And all but one Hazardous Materials team would close.
The program cuts would be in addition to the loss of 64 firefighters.
The union says these are the same programs that were saved from the budget axe last year when firefighters agreed to pay a larger portion of their own pensions.
"The fact that Sacramento would slash these life-saving divisions of the Fire Department when firefighters already agreed to pay approximately $3.5 million a year out of their own pockets to keep them available to the citizens is baffling to us and should be of great concern to Sacramento residents," said Ryan Henry, vice president of Sacramento Area Firefighters.
The union says firefighters have submitted another proposal to the City Council that would increase non-tax revenue generated by the Fire Department and prevent the looming cuts.
The council is expected to vote June 12 on the budget.