Watch CBS News

Judge: Oak Park Explosion Suspect Not Coerced

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) ― The man accused of injuring four firefighters in an Oak Park home explosion pleaded not guilty in court Tuesday, arguing that police had coerced a written confession from him, but a judge ruled that authorities didn't cross the line.

Judge Greta Faul determined that Robert Durst knew what he was saying and knew he could stop talking at any time when he admitted to police that he was "trying to cause damage" when he took a birthday candle in a vacant home and turned on a gas valve.

Durst was allegedly trying to take revenge on the owner of the structure on July 4 by trying to start a fire. According to the confession presented by investigators, Durst said he had already stolen a fan, water heater and copper tubing from the home when he lit the candle and left.

"I was trying to cause damage," Durst said, according to the police transcript.

"And what did you think would happen?" a detective asked.

"I don't know. Burn up the roof, burn the ceiling and then burn the carpet up, piss him off badly," Durst said.

Durst said didn't open any windows or doors as the candle burned and the gas built up inside the home.

The following day, firefighters responded to reports of a gas leak inside the home, but before they were able to enter, the building exploded, injuring four firefighters.

Police asked Durst how he felt about the firefighters' injuries. "I feel really bad. I mean, I wish I could do over, but break the glass or something," he said.

In an interview with CBS13 in July, Durst repeatedly denied responsibility for the explosion and accused police of forcing him to confess while he was drunk.

"I was coerced into saying that I did it. They had my wife and my children locked into a room for who knows how many hours it was. Late, late, late, late. I didn't want them to go through all that," Durst said.

Durst's attorney accused police of violating his rights, and even the prosecutor said investigators made serious mistakes during the interview, but Judge Faul ruled he would have to stand trial.

The trial is scheduled to begin in January.

(© MMX, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue