Watch CBS News

UPDATE: Worker Killed In Lincoln Brick Wall Collapse

LINCOLN (CBS13) – A worker trapped by a collapsed brick wall in Lincoln has died, according to officials.

Emergency crews were called to 343 E Street in Lincoln around 8 a.m. Tuesday for reports of a construction accident.

When they arrived, paramedics and police found a man had been crushed by a wall of bricks.

The victim has been identified as 53-year-old Kurt Allen Clark from Newcastle.

"They tried doing everything they could, the paramedics and our officers got here within 4 minutes of the call and paramedics pronounced him dead at 7:46," said Lincoln Chief of Police Paul Shelgren. "It's tragic. It's one of those situations nobody wants to have to go through or see happen."

According to Lincoln Police, the 50-foot long, foot wide tall wall was in the process of being torn down. They say another worker driving a small tractor was on one side of the wall while the Clark was on the other side kneeling down to mark power and sewer lines.

It appears the tractor driver accidentally hit the wall causing it to collapse onto Clark.

Chief Shelgren says the wall was more than 50 years old, and walls just like it are common around Lincoln.

"I used to walk down the alley where the wall, all the neighborhoods, it's not an uncommon thing to see these types of walls with our local materials all over the place," remembered Shelgren.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue