Heather Abraham co-hosts KDKA's "Pittsburgh Today Live," with David Highfield, every weekday morning at 9AM; and is the host of Talk Pittsburgh, every weekday afternoon at 3PM.
It was an exciting homecoming for Heather when she joined KDKA in 2010. She grew up in Shaler Township and graduated from Shaler Area High School. Her desire to get into news started there with the morning announcements. She continued her education at West Virginia University where she studied Broadcast News.
Before moving back home, she reported at News 12 Brooklyn, a 24-hour cable news station in New York City. Heather spent four years covering everything Brooklyn as a reporter, photographer, and editor. She says it was her time in Brooklyn that prepared her the most for the next step in her career.
Heather is an award winning journalist. She has been nominated for several Emmy's, including for a deeper look into the work of the Pittsburgh Police Vice Squad. She also won a Golden Quill award for her reporting on a 7-alarm fire in Homestead. Growing in her on-air role on PTL, she was also nominated for an Emmy for hosting the show.
Being an active part of the community is very important to Heather. She's been involved with the Special Olympics of Pennsylvania, even taking part in their annual polar plunge fundraiser, as well as Hair Peace Charities, Animal Friends, and the KDKA-TV Turkey Fund. Her community involvement, though, includes being a good neighbor! She established an annual block party and helped to create a safe Light Up Night on her street during the 2020 COVID pandemic.
When she's not anchoring or hosting, Heather loves spending time with her family. Her husband Frank is a City of Pittsburgh firefighter. They have two girls and welcomed a baby boy to their family in 2019. They also have two dogs and decided to add to the chaos by adding two pet fish to the mix!
- Joined KDKA: 2010
- Hometown: Shaler, Pa.
- Alma Mater: Shaler Area High School, WVU
- Music: I love all kinds of music but really enjoy hip-hop.
- Movie: My favorite movie probably comes from my childhood. I watched the "Labyrinth" with David Bowie on repeat.
- TV Show: LOVED the Netflix show "Bridgerton"!
- Book: This is tough because I love to read! I enjoyed several books by Margaret Atwood. "Child 44" is at the top of my list. I'm always looking for a good suggestion!
- Food: Um, yes please.
- Local Restaurant: We are so lucky to have so many great restaurants. For bar food, we love Bigham Tavern. For a nice dinner, Altius is amazing.
- Hidden PA Gem: Coney Island hot dogs in New Castle. What I wouldn't give for a chili dog right now!
- Sport/Exercise: I really enjoy lifting but usually my exercise consists of long stroller walks!
- Historical Figure: Does Rosie the Riveter count? The image most associate with "Rosie" came from a Pittsburgh artist.
- Favorite Pennsylvanian: Fred Rogers
- Quote: "When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.'" – Fred Rogers
- Word: Optimistic
- Vacation Spot: We were fortunate enough to travel to Hawaii before. If I close my eyes, I can still smell Hawaii. It is such a beautiful place.
- Holiday: Christmas Eve. I like the excitement before the big day.
- Planet: Earth. Definitely Earth.
THIS OR THAT
- Facebook or Twitter? That's tough! I think Facebook.
- Cats or Dogs? Dogs
- Beatles or Rolling Stones? Rolling Stones
- Comedy or Tearjerker? Comedy
- Phone Call or Text Message? Phone Call
- Mac or PC? Mac
- Coffee or Tea? Coffee. Always coffee.
- Paper or Plastic? Are we talking about spending or grocery store?
- Morning Person or Night Person? Morning :)
- East Coast or West Coast? I don't know much about the west coast, but the east coast has my heart.
- Star Trek or Star Wars? Yikes! Neither!
Learn more about KDKA's Heather Abraham as she answers these 22 questions:
for more features.