Picklesburgh kicks off today and here's a perfect recipe to celebrate the occasion!
Quick Pickled Green Dilly Tomatoes
Makes 1 quart jar
- 1 cup white vinegar at 5% acidity
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tablespoon pickling salt
- 1 tsp. whole mustard seed
- 1 tsp. whole coriander seed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. black peppercorn
- 2 tsp. dill seed
- 4 cloves peeled garlic
- 1 sprig fresh dill
- 1/2 dried red chili pepper (optional)
- 1 1/2 lbs Green Tomatoes, cut into wedges
Bring the first three ingredients to a boil and stir until salt is dissolved.
Place all of the spices into a sterile quart glass jar. Pack the green tomatoes on top.
Pour brine over top and let sit until jars reach room temperature. Lid and place into the refrigerator.
Keep covered and chilled for at least 3 days. Pickles will be best after a week and store up to three weeks.
for more features.