Puckering up this Valentine's Day? You might want to leave lipstick out of the picture. A new report from the FDA shows 400 lipsticks - including popular brands such as L'Oreal and Cover Girl - contain traces of lead. Although the amounts of lead found have doubled since the FDA's last investigation, the federal agency says the findings are not a cause for concern.
The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics calls lead a neurotoxin and says any amount is too much. "Lead builds up in the body over time and lead-containing lipstick applied several times a day, every day, can add up to significant exposure levels," Dr. Mark Mitchell, co-chair of the environmental health task force for the National Medical Association, said in a Safe Cosmetics written statement.
According to the report, some lipsticks contain higher levels of lead than others: keep clicking to see the top 10 lead-filled lipsticks...
10. Stargazer Lipstick 103 c
Lead content: 4.12 parts-per-million
9. Maybelline Color Sensational - Mauve Me
Lead content: 4.23 ppm
8. Cover Girl Continuous Color - Warm Brick
Lead content: 4.28 ppm
7. L'Oreal Intensely Moisturizing Lipcolor - Heroic
Lead content: 4.41 ppm
6. L'Oreal Colour Riche - Tickled Pink
Lead content: 4.45 ppm
5. NARS Semi-Matte - Funny Face
Lead content: 4.89 ppm
4. Cover Girl Queen Collection Vibrant Hues Color - Ruby Remix
Lead content: 4.92 ppm
3. NARS Semi-Matte - Red Lizard
Lead content: 4.93 ppm
2. L'Oreal Colour Riche - Volcanic
Lead content: 7.00 ppm
1. Maybelline Color Sensational - Pink Petal
Lead content: 7.19 ppm