Watch CBS News

Police ID victims, alleged shooter killed by authorities in Lawncrest quadruple shooting

Lawncrest community remembers couple killed in quadruple shooting as great neighbors
Lawncrest community remembers couple killed in quadruple shooting as great neighbors 01:49

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) -- A 41-year-old man was shot and killed by police Monday in Mount Airy. The man is believed to be the person who shot four others, including three fatally, inside a home in Lawncrest earlier in the morning, according to officials. 

Police identified the 41-year-old as Jahad Snead of Philadelphia. 

Philadelphia police responded to the 6100 block of Shelbourne Street around 5 a.m. after a woman called to report that she and three other people had been shot. When officers arrived, they found three people dead and the woman who reported the shooting was taken to Einstein Hospital with gunshot wounds, according to Police Chief Inspector Mark McCarrick.

Police identified the three victims who died as 63-year-old Denise Snead-Doram, 61-year-old Gregory Doram and 42-year-old Nina O'Brien. Police said they were each shot in the head and pronounced dead on the scene by medics. 

Authorities didn't identify the 43-year-old woman who survived the shooting after she was struck in her eye. She was placed in critical condition. 

McCarrick said investigators were looking for Snead, who he said was familiar to the victims and was seen leaving the residence after the shooting.   

Then, just before 7:50 a.m., police attempted to pull over a vehicle at E. Phil Ellena and Ross streets in connection with the person of interest. Police claim a man inside that vehicle then fired at least one round at officers. That's when officials said a Philadelphia police officer fired back, striking the man. 

Police initially said the man had died, but a short time later corrected to say he was taken to Einstein Hospital in critical condition. He has since died, officials confirmed. 

A weapon was recovered from the scene, according to police. 

The officer who shot the man also suffered minor injuries to their hand from broken glass and is seeking treatment, officials added.

Hours after the shooting, flowers started piling up at the Doram's home. 

"Just the greatest," Detrick Lowman, a nephew of the Doram's, said. "Just loving, just outgoing, do anything for anybody, anywhere, always. always smiling."  

Lowman is mourning the loss of his aunt and uncle – Denise and Greg Doram. And he's not alone. 

Peter Narcisse has lived next to the Doram's for about a year – and remembers the kindness Greg showed his family. 

"Every Sunday, man, after church, he's at the door," Narcisse said. "And when he's waiting at the door, my son knows 'Daddy, the neighbor's here and some donuts.' So my son not gonna have no donuts no more, man."  

Another man who didn't want to appear on camera said Greg was a frequent site around the neighborhood.  

"Always in a great spirit," the man said. "Speaks and says hi to everybody. Nice guy, never had any issues at all with him as a neighbor."  

Neighbors were shocked to see the flood of police around the home Monday morning and saddened to hear of the Doram's deaths. 

Narcisse said he heard the shooting and called the whole incident scary.  

"I got four kids inside the house," Narcisse said. "And me and my wife. And four in the morning I heard a couple of shots and I don't know what happened."  

Narcisse got a little choked up when talking about Greg and the kindness he showed his family. He said he doesn't know if he'll ever have another neighbor quite like the Doram's again. 

If you are a victim of domestic violence, call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233. You can also find more resources here

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.