Christopher Bakken of Meadville, Pa., is the winner of the Chef on a Shoestring Contest. You can see his winning recipes on the Sept. 22 Chef on a Shoestring page.
Here are the frugal, creative chefs who took second and third place, along with their menu selections:
Sweet and Sour Cucumber-Carrot Salad with Fresh Cilantro
Leek-Wrapped Chicken, Marinated in Teriyaki and Ginger served with Citrus Sauce
Green Beans with Buttery Almonds over Basmati Rice
Fresh Fruit with Sour Cream Sauce
Prosciutto and Goat Cheese Toast
Ginger Pork with Red Lentils
Little Chocolate Mud Cakes
These were the official rules for the Share Our Strength Chef on a Shoestring Contest:
OPEN ONLY TO RESIDENTS OF THE UNITED STATES
18 YEARS OF AGE AND OLDER
VOID WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW
1. ELIGIBILITY: Contest is open only to legal residents of the United States (excluding residents of Arizona and Rhode Island) who are 18 years of age and older at the time of entry. Void where prohibited or restricted by law. Only one winner per household. Employees of Share Our Strength, CBS and Viacom, its parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, agencies, agents and representatives and members of the immediate families and persons living in the same household of such employees are not eligible. NO FOOD PROFESSIONALS, SUCH AS CHEFS OR CULINARY ARTISTS/FOOD STYLISTS ALLOWED. Contest sponsored by CBS Saturday Early Show and Share Our Strength.
|Contest judge Kerry Heffernan|
The recipe must meet all of the following requirements:
- Must include in recipe an appetizer, a main course, and a dessert.
- Must serve four people.
- Ingredients must be purchased for under $20
- Must provide the receipt. Note: (The cost of pantry items, listed below, do not need to be included in computing costs for the $20 budget).
- Must give clear directions for recipe preparation
- Must use standard measures for all ingredients such as ounces, teaspoons, cups, etc.
- Must use clear and specific temperatures and directions on how to cook food
- Pantry items that you do not need to be included in your $20 budget:
oil in a spray can
white wine vinegar
red wine vinegar
paprika--several kinds: Hungarian, spicy, Nigerian
real vanilla extract
coriander, whole and crushed
crushed chili pepper
cinnamon, ground and sticks
herbs de Provence
dried orange peel
dried bay leaves
ONLY ONE ENTRY PER PERSON.
3. JUDGING: The recipes will be judged by the set forth criteria and the final winners will be selected by three professional chefs.
All eligible recipes will be judged by a panel of judges and the top 3 winning recipes will be selected on the basis of the following criteria: originality; use of budget; taste or perception of taste; perceived ease of preparation.Photo by Michael James O'Brien
Contest judge Erik Blauberg
The chef judges will prepare the meals from the three winning recipes and will select one Grand Prize Winner, a First Runner-up and a Second Runner-up. Judging will be based on the above criteria.
Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entrant if Sponsor believes the entrant has cheated or engaged in fraudulent behavior with respect to entrant's participation in this contest.
American Express, a 10-year partner Share Our Strength in the fight to end hunger, is making a donation of a dolar per entry, up to a maximum of $2500, as part of the contest to Share Our Strength's efforts to end hunger.
Grand Prize winner:
The Grand Prize Winner will win roundtrip airfare for two to New York City, New York, hotel accommodations for two nights, and ground transfers for transportation between the hotel and airport in New York. Approximate Retail Value: $2500. The Grand Prize Winner will also win a spot on The Saturday Early Show. The trip will be set for the weekend of September 15 and will coincide with the appearance on the CBS Saturday Early Show. Airfare will be coach class. In addition, the Grand Prize Winner will receive Free Tyson Chicken for one year. Approximate retail value $500, which will be awarded with 100 $5 Tyson VIP coupons. In addition, Cutco Cutlery will provide the Cutco Homemaker Set Plus Eight. This beautiful 18-piece set includes all the knives you'll need to prepare delicious, nutritious meals for your family and friends; and, it's guaranteed FOREVER. The knives are made of high-carbon stain-resistant steel with ergonomically designed handles that feel great in any hand.
The set includes a French Chef, Slicer, Carving Knife, Petite Carver, Carving Fork, Turning Fork, Spatula Spreader, Trimmer and Paring Knife with 8 Table Knives, all in a beautiful oak block. Approximate Retail Value = $760.
The First Runner-up will win a one year supply of coffee from illy caffè (52 lbs) and one each cappuccino and espresso cup collection from the famous artists, limited edition signed and numbered series. Approximate Retail Value: $1300. In addition, the First Runner-up will receive the Cutco Galley Set Plus Six. Chop, slice and dice your way to great meals using this 13-piece knife set. The knives are made of high-carbon stain-resistant steel and have ergonomically designed handles that feel great any hand. The set is backed by Cutco's FOREVER guarantee.
The set includes a French Chef, Slicer, Petite Carver, Turning Fork, Spatula Spreader, Trimmer and Paring Knife with six Table Knives, all stored in a beautiful oak block a set of knives from Cutco. Approximate Retail Value: $555.
The Second Runner-up will win a year supply of EVIAN Natural Spring Water. Approximate Retail Value: $300, and the Cutco Galley Set Plus Six. Chop, slice and dice your way to great meals using this 13-piece knife set. The knives are made of high-carbon stain-resistant steel and have ergonomically designed handles that feel great any hand. The set is backed by Cutco¡¦s FOREVER guarantee.
The set includes a French Chef, Slicer, Petite Carver, Turning Fork, Spatula Spreader, Trimmer and Paring Knife with six Table Knives, all stored in a beautiful oak block
set of knives from Cutco Cutlery. Approximate Retail Value =$555.
No transfers or substitutions of prizes for cash or otherwise are permitted, except that the Sponsor retains the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value, in the event of prize unavailability. All prizes are non-refundable and non-exchangeable. Limit one prize per household. All federal, state and local taxes on prizes, if any, are the sole responsibility of the individual winners. Winners are also solely responsible for any and all prize-related expenses not specified above.
Contest judge Waldy Malouf
5. ODDS OF WINNING: Odds of winning depend on the number of Entries and the skill and talent of the entrants.
6. NOTIFICATION: Sponsor will notify winners by phone on or about August 20, 2001. Sponsor will use the telephone number provided by the entrant and shall not be responsible for any changes to the telephone number. If Sponsor cannot contact winner within 5 days, an alternate winner may be selected. Return of any prize/prize notification as undeliverable will result in disqualification and an alternate winner may be selected.
Winner will be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, and Liability and Publicity Releases (where legal) within 15 days of notification. Non-compliance with this time period may result in disqualification and an alternate winner may be selected.
7. CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION. By participating in this contest, entrants agree: a) to these Official Rules and decisions of Sponsor and contest judges, which shall be binding and final in all respects; b) to release, discharge and hold harmless Sponsor, its parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, agencies, agents and representatives and the officers, directors, and employees of each from any and all claims, charges, injuries, liability, losses and/or damages of any kind caused by, resulting from or arising out of their participation in the contest and/or their acceptance, use, misuse, possession loss or misdirection of a contest prize; and c) to the use of their names, photographs, likeness and/or identity for advertising, publicity and promotional purposes without compensation, unless prohibited by law.
8. GENERAL RULES. All federal, state and local laws apply. Sponsor, its parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, agents, representatives and the directors, officers and employees of each are not responsible and shall be not liable for: a) any late, delayed, lost, misdirected, damaged, destroyed, stolen, misaddressed, garbled, scrambled or incomplete Entry, or improperly or ambiguously entered participant identifying information; b) any human error; or c) any condition caused by events beyond the control of Sponsor which may cause the contest to be disrupted or crrupted.
Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to cancel or suspend the contest or any portion thereof should any cause beyond Sponsor¡¦s control disrupt, corrupt and/or compromise the administration, security or proper play of the contest.
By submitting your entry, you hereby assign and release to Sponsor any and all intellectual property and other proprietary rights you may have in and to your entry, including without limitation your recipe, instructions and photograph, and agree to take all steps necessary to complete the assignment and release.
9. LIST OF WINNERS: The list of winners' names will be posted on both Web sites www.strength.org and www.cbsnews.com on or about September 15, 2001. In addition, a list of winners will be available after September 15, 2001, by sending a stamped, self-addressed stamped envelope, to CBS News, The Saturday Early Show, 524 West 57th St., New York, NY 10019.
10. SPONSOR. This contest is sponsored by the CBS Saturday Early Show and Share Our Strength.
© MMI Viacom Internet Services Inc. All Rights Reserved