If you've ever found yourself on the receiving end of some obscure document format with no way to read the contents, you'll appreciate this handy little utility. Universal Viewer is a free program that can read almost any kind of file.
Here's an abbreviated list of supported file types (the full list is much longer and makes for rather uninteresting reading):
- Text, Binary, Hex, Unicode: Any files, no size limit
- RTF, UTF-8: RTF and UTF-8 encoded texts
- Image: All common formats including BMP, JPG, GIF, PNG, TGA, and TIFF
- Multimedia: All formats supported by Windows Media Player, including AVI, MPG, WMV, and MP3
- Internet: All formats supported by Internet Explorer, including HTML, PDF, XML, and MHT
- Office: All types Office files, but only if installed
- Converters: Some types can be viewed as plain text, such as DOC, DOCX, PDF, PPT, and ODT
One other plus: The program is completely portable, so you can copy it to a flash drive and use it on any PC with no need to install anything. [via CyberNetNews]
for more features.