Scouts Soldier On After Tragedy

Travis P. Sheehan, 19, of Jupiter, Fla., performs an Oklahoma fancy feather dance during a inter-tribal pow-wow at the National Boy Scout Jamboree, Thursday, July 28, 2005, at Fort A.P. Hill near Bowling Green, Va.
The star-crossed National Scout Jamboree started anew Friday, after a week in which more than 300 people succumbed to the blistering heat while awaiting a visit from President George W. Bush and four Scout leaders from Alaska died.

Mr. Bush's second attempt to visit the Jamboree on Thursday was postponed until Sunday, at the Scouts' request. Officials hoped to review safety procedures for large crowds and replenish supplies — including several tractor-trailers full of bottled water.

More than 300 Scouts and visitors were treated Wednesday at the hospital at Fort A.P. Hill, the Army base hosting the event, and some were airlifted to surrounding hospitals with heat-related illnesses.

As the heat subsided, more than 40,000 Scouts, leaders and visitors attending the 10-day event returned to a somewhat normal routine Thursday, going about daily activities like trading patches, going fishing and riding bikes.

On Thursday, CBS News Senior Producer Robert C. Dries, who was attending the jamboree, reported everything was back to normal.

"The weather is nice, a welcomed relief," said Dries. "The Scouts are continuing with their jamboree activities.

"Yesterday was ridiculous," said Jeremy Loftness, 15, of Denver, as he traded patches along the Army bases' streets. "I, myself, saw 50 people either passed out or being carried away."

The Scouts and the White House called off Mr. Bush's Wednesday appearance because of threatening storms. Shields said officials also didn't want to make the Boy Scouts and visitors remain in the intense heat, which reached the upper 90s with high humidity.

"Any alternative would not have been wise," Shields said.

The illnesses came as many still were reeling from the deaths of four Boy Scout leaders Monday. Some Scouts had been watching as the metal pole at the center of a large, white dining tent touched power lines, electrocuting the adult leaders. Screams rang out as the tent caught fire and the men burned.