crimesider

Samuel Kunz, 3rd Most Wanted Nazi Suspect, Dies Before Trial

(AP Photo, file)
Samuel Kunz, 3rd Most Wanted Nazi Suspect, Dies Before Trial
(AP Photo, file)

WASHINGTON (CBS/AP) Samuel Kunz, the world's third most-wanted Nazi suspect, has died before he could be brought to trial, according to a court in Germany.

Bonn's state court said in a statement Monday that the 89-year-old died Nov. 18.

Kunz was indicted on charges he was involved in the entire process of killing Jews at the Belzec death camp: from taking victims from trains to pushing them into gas chambers to throwing corpses into mass graves. No trial date had been set.

Efraim Zuroff, the Simon Wiesenthal Center's top Nazi hunter, says it's "incredibly frustrating" that Kunz died before trial.

But he says it is important that he was indicted.

Zuroff said "at least a small measure of justice was achieved."