Rhoni Reuter Update: Closing arguments begin in murder trial of Marni Yang

Marni Yang (left) and Rhoni Reuter
Credit: CBS/Deerfield Police Department

Marni Yang Update: Closing arguments begin, trial expected to go to jury
Marni Yang (left) and Rhoni Reuter
Credit: CBS/Deerfield Police Department

(CBS/WBBM/AP) WAUKEGAN, Ill. - Closing arguments began in an Illinois courtroom Tuesday morning in the murder trial of Marni Yang, who is charged with killing the pregnant girlfriend of ex-Chicago Bear Shaun Gayle.

Yang, a 43-year-old real estate agent, is charged with the murder of Rhoni Reuter, who was pregnant with Gayle's daughter when she was shot and killed in her Deerfield condo on Oct. 4, 2007, reports CBS affiliate WBBM. The unborn baby was also killed.

Yang was purportedly jealous of Reuter's relationship with Gayle, even though Yang was a sometime sex partner of Gayle's. Gayle testified last Tuesday that he met Yang in 2005 and the two had a business relationship, but that it eventually turned sexual. He said he had sex with Yang at this home the night before Reuter's killing.

As prosecutors began their closing statement Tuesday morning, the courtroom was packed with nearly 100 spectators, including family members from both sides, reports WBBM.

During their closing, prosecutors replayed tapes of Yang describing how she shot Reuter, whose parents left the courtroom as the tapes were played. Prosecutors played the same tapes earlier in the trial.

On Monday, forensic pathologist Dr. Manny Montez testified that Reuter had been shot six times. Two of the bullets hit and killed the unborn baby. As she was shot, Reuter wrapped her left arm around her abdomen in an apparent effort to protect her unborn daughter, Montez testified.

Yang's defense rested after 30 minutes and only called three witnesses to the stand Monday, one being Yang's mother, Francine Merar, according to the Chicago Tribune. Yang did not testify.

She has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder and intentional homicide of an unborn child.

The case will go to the jury after the statements are completed.

Complete coverage of the Reuter case on Crimesider