An original recipe by Kanta Hirway, mother of musician and podcaster Hrishikesh Hirway. Alphonso Mango Pulp cans are available in Indian grocery stores or online.
By Hrishikesh Hirway's Mom
Yield: 2 pies
1 ½ cups boiling hot water
1 ½ packages unflavored gelatin
4 oz. cream cheese
8 oz. Cool Whip
16 oz. mango pulp (Alphonso if available)
½ cup sugar
2 graham cracker pie crusts
- In a large bowl dissolve the gelatin and sugar in the boiling water.
- Add cream cheese to the same bowl while the water is still hot (helps to melt the cream cheese), and then add Cool Whip and mango pulp to the same bowl.
- With a handheld mixer, mix the whole thing until it looks smooth and has an even color and consistency.
- Pour mixture into pie crusts.
- Refrigerate until formed (at least 3 hours). Serve and enjoy!
For more info:
- "Song Exploder" Podcast
- Watch the series "Song Exploder: How Music Gets Made" on Netflix
Check out the "Sunday Morning" 2022 Food Issue Recipe Index for more menu suggestions, from all of the chefs, cookbook authors, flood writers and restaurateurs featured on our program.
for more features.