Recipe: Hot Toddy Bundt Cake from The Hebridean Baker
Coinneach MacLeod became a food celebrity as The Hebridean Baker, mixing Scottish recipes, music, kilts and folklore from the Outer Hebrides on social media. He is author of "The Hebridean Baker: Recipes and Wee Stories from the Scottish Islands."
He offers "Sunday Morning" viewers his cake recipe with a kick.
"Nothing beats a soothing mug of hot toddy on a winter's evening," he writes, "and that inspired me to take those wonderful flavours of honey, lemon and whisky, and combine them into this beautiful Hot Toddy Bundt Cake. A slice of this will definitely ward off those winter blues!"
Hot Toddy Bundt Cake
By Coinneach MacLeod
Makes 8 slices
For the bundt
225 g (8 oz.) butter
225 g (8 oz.) caster sugar
225 g (8 oz.) self-raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons honey
1 lemon, zested
For the icing
200 g (7 oz.) icing sugar
3 teaspoons lemon juice
3 teaspoons whisky
(1 teaspoon of cold water at a time if needed to create a runnier consistency)
- Pre-heat your oven to 160°C fan (350°F). Lightly butter your bundt tin (I use a 20cm/8" silicone bundt tin).
- Cream together the butter and sugar with a handheld mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one by one, until well combined.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder, and stir together carefully on a low speed until just combined.
- Add the honey and lemon zest, and mix well.
- Place the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then carefully release the cake onto a wire rack. Leave to cool completely.
- To make the icing, sieve the icing sugar into a bowl and begin to mix in the lemon juice and whisky to make a thick but pourable icing. If it isn't runny enough to pour on, mix in a teaspoon of water.
- Pour the icing over the cake, scatter over the lemon zest and serve – an accompanying mug of hot toddy is optional!
To watch The Hebridean Baker prepare the Hot Toddy Cake click on the video player below:
For more info:
- "The Hebridean Baker: Recipes and Wee Stories from the Scottish Islands" by Coinneach MacLeod (Black & White Publishing) is available in Hardcover and eBook formats, from Amazon and Indiebound
- Follow the Hebridean Baker on TikTok
Check out the "Sunday Morning" 2022 Food Issue Recipe Index for more menu suggestions, from all of the chefs, cookbook authors, flood writers and restaurateurs featured on our program.
for more features.