Rage On The Run

An American Bodybuilder Becomes An International Fugitive

Produced by Paul Ryan

This story originally aired on Jan. 28, 2006.

In 1995, a bodybuilder who sold steroids and was involved in a love triangle in Fort Myers was gunned down inside his home. Police eyed an associate of the victim as a suspect but he disappeared before officers could make an arrest.

Years later and thousands of miles away, the murder of a police officer would stun a nation and reveal to investigators that the two cases were linked.

"48 Hours" correspondent Susan Spencer reports on the investigation, in cooperation with Granada Media and True North Productions.

On Dec. 26, 2003, in Leeds, England, police officer Ian Broadhurst lay dying in the street beside his patrol car. The search for his killer - one of the biggest manhunts in British history - had just begun.

Ian's mother Cindy remembers the day had started so peacefully. It was a holiday, the day after Christmas, what the British call "Boxing Day," and Ian and his wife were visiting.

"They actually came for Boxing Day breakfast and we had a lovely breakfast and a lot of laughs. We sat together and we watched the film and we laughed," she says.

Ian, 34, was a traffic cop in the city of Leeds and, holiday or not, he had to go to work.

"Boxing Day is generally a quiet day. Looking for what we normally look for, stolen cars, anybody that is doing something that draws us attention," says Neil Roper, 43, who had been Ian's partner for only a few months.

The two men had grown close.

"He was my mate, not just a policeman. He was just a genuine fella that got on with everybody," says Roper.

In the short time they were partners, Broadhurst and Roper had developed an almost uncanny ability to spot stolen cars, and this day after Christmas would be no different.

That afternoon the officers turned onto a small side street to check out a BMW that was parked at an odd angle.

"I just basically saw this black 3-series BMW parked up on the causeway in a - how can I put it - a peculiar position," Roper says. "We went slowly past the passenger side of the vehicle. I looked and saw just this white man reading a racing post."

The officers approached the vehicle and then radioed in. Their hunch was right: the car was stolen.

The driver - a very big man - was making Roper nervous.

"In the police car there is a button that you press which gives you the facility, obviously, to record anything that's being said in the car. This is the first time I've ever done this," he says.

The chilling record of what happened next was all caught on tape.

On the tape, one can hear the man saying he was from Leeds but that his country of birth was Canada. He also told officers, "Just to let you know I did not steal the car."

Roper was growing more wary by the minute and decided he should handcuff this suspect and got out of the car to call for backup, leaving Broadhurst alone.

The BMW was towed away. Moments later, Officer James Banks arrived. Broadhurst now got out of the patrol car.

Like most British police, none of the three officers carried a gun.

"I said to James, 'When I'm cuffing him, can you just watch me back,' " says Roper. "As I've looked forward, I've just seen this gun coming up to my face and what can I say from there. I've just shouted, he's got a gun."

Then gunshots could be heard on the tape.

Though Roper was hit in the shoulder and stomach, he somehow made it to a nearby building and radioed for help.

"I've been shot twice. I don't know about Ian, he's down on the floor," Roper radioed.

Neil Roper was critically wounded and James Banks was saved only because the bullet hit his police radio. But Ian Broadhurst died on his way to the hospital.