Watch CBS News

Police release photo girl took before electrocution in bathtub

Photo teen took before death
Police release photo teen took before electrocution death 01:11

Police in Lovington, New Mexico have released the last picture taken by a 14-year-old girl who apparently died from electrocution after her plugged-in cellphone made its way into the bathtub she was in.

The photo shows a phone charger plugged into a frayed extension cord next to the bathtub. Police believe Madison Coe sent that photo to a friend minutes before she died. She sent the photo with the message: "When you use and (sic) extension cord so you can plug your phone in while you're in the bath."

Police released the last picture that Madison Coe took while in the bathtub. Lovington Police Department

Last week, Coe's family told CBS affiliate KRQE that Coe's Samsung Edge Plus fell into the bathtub.

Felisha Owens, Madison's step-mom, said the teenager was spending the summer with her father in Lovington before heading off to high school in Houston. Then something happened that changed their lives forever.

Madison Coe died early Sunday at her father's house in Lovington, New Mexico.  Coe Family

"It's not uncommon for her to spend two hours to two and a half hours in the bathtub," Owens told KRQE.

Coe's family said that want others to learn from the tragedy.

"The bathroom is a place for showers and personal time and your phones don't belong in the bathroom. Electricity and water do not mix. All it takes is a drop," Owens said.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is reportedly investigating to find out if any products played a role in Coe's death.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.