LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - The parents of two of three Arkansas boys who were brutally murdered nearly two decades ago say they're disappointed the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has nominated a documentary about the killings for an Oscar.
Todd and Diana Moore had asked the Academy to exclude "Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory" from consideration because they said it glorifies the three men known as the West Memphis Three who were convicted in the murders.
Last year, Damien Echols, Jason Baldwin and Jessie Misskelley were released from prison after they pleaded guilty to lesser charges while maintaining their claims of innocence.
After a screening of the documentary during the New York Film Festival on Oct. 10, 2011, the three men spoke to the audience about their experiences. "What happened to us is very tragic, and it was a horrible thing, but it happened for a reason," Baldwin said to the audience, adding that he wanted to go to school to "prevent similar situations from occurring."
Director Joe Berlinger says those who made the film "feverishly believe in the innocence" of the men. He says pursuing the truth is the best way to honor the three young boys.