Watch CBS News

Panel Pans Prostate Checks For Men Over 75

Doctors should stop routine prostate cancer screening of men over 75 because there is more evidence of harm than benefit, a federal task force advised Monday in a new blow to a much-scrutinized medical test.

The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force, which made the recommendation, reported finding evidence that the benefits of treatment based on routine screening of this age group "are small to none." However, treatment often causes "moderate-to-substantial harms," including erectile dysfunction and bladder control and bowel problems, the task force said.

On The Early Show Tuesday, Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel, chairman of the Department of Bioethics at the National Institutes of Health, told co-anchor Harry Smith another negative effect is "psychological. You end up worrying more. ... You should probably stop worrying. If you're healthy, over 75, go live your life and stop being so anxious about getting everything."

Emanuel said, "If you're a healthy man and (have) no symptoms (and are) over 75, there's no good reason to be screened. The important thing is (being) healthy: You don't have symptoms. Your doctor didn't detect anything on an exam."

The new guidance is the first update by the task force on prostate cancer screening since 2002. The last report on the subject from this panel of experts, which sets the nation's primary care standards, concluded there was insufficient evidence to recommend prostate screening for men of all ages.

In recent years, there has been a growing debate about the value of the somewhat imprecise PSA test to detect cancer, as well as the value of treating most prostate cancers. A number of experts contend patients are being over-treated.

Most major U.S. medical groups recommend doctors discuss the potential benefits and known harms of prostate screening with their patients and make individual decisions. And most agree such testing shouldn't occur before age 50.

The federal task force reviewed past research in reaching its conclusion and "could not find adequate proof that early detection leads to fewer men dying of the disease," task force chairman Dr. Ned Calonge of Denver, said in a statement.

Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in American men - about 220,000 cases will be diagnosed this year. It is the second-leading cause of cancer deaths in men. But most tumors grow so slowly they never threaten lives. There is no accurate way to tell which tumors will.

Earlier this year, a study found that older men who already had early-stage prostate cancer were not taking a big risk by not treating it right away. The vast majority were alive 10 years later without significantly worrying symptoms, or had died of other causes.

Prostate cancer treatments are tough, especially on older men. Some doctors instead recommend "watchful waiting" to monitor signs of the disease and treat only if they worsen, but smaller studies give conflicting views of the safety of that approach.

The new guidelines from the Preventive Services Task Force were published in this month's Annals of Internal Medicine.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue