Pa. cop accused of lying about getting shot

Jon Cousin of the Chalfront Police Department in Pennsylvania is accused of fabricating a story about getting shot on the job.

(CBS News) CHALFRONT, Pa. - A police officer in eastern Pennsylvania is being accused of lying about getting shot on the job.

Bucks County District Attorney David Heckler told reporters that Jon Cousin of the Chalfront Police Department set up an elaborate hoax about getting shot in the chest, according to CBS Philadelphia.

Cousin, 30, initially reported he was shot early Monday morning at a traffic stop near a swim club. He told authorities he was on routine patrol when he saw a suspicious vehicle. When he went to investigate, he claimed, someone from inside the car shot him in the chest.

KYW-TV obtained the dramatic radio call from "Hit in the chest. I think my vest stopped it. Get a medic here please."

District Attorney Heckler said the facts didn't add up, explaining that a bullet to the chest, even with a protective vest, would leave a "substantial bruise."

"That wasn't the case, so we would surmise that he set the vest up in some way on a hanger or over something and fired into it," Heckler said. "I think that all the evidence would suggest that he did this at some remote location."

Heckler also explained that the slug still embedded in the vest matched the same gun Cousin had. Cousin has turned in his weapon.

Cousin's motive remains under investigation. He was spotted accepting deliveries of care packages at his home on Tuesday. Off camera, the now-former officer told KYW reporter Jericka Duncan he wanted to thank the community for their support.

Authorities said will undergo a psychiatric evaluation and the district attorney's office will request Cousin reimburse the county for costs incurred searching the alleged suspects and vehicle involved in the fabricated shooting.

He has been arraigned on charges of creating false alarms, filing false reports, disorderly conduct, official oppression, possessing instrument of crime and recklessly endangering another person. If convicted, he faces a maximum of 22 years in prison.