See our Oscar Tidbits below. Also on CBS.com:
Titanic's 14 nominations tie the all-time record for most nominations for one film. All About Eve collected 14 nominations following its release in 1950. The most wins for a single film is held by 1959's Ben-Hur, with 11.
The 70th annual Academy Awards will be handed out March 23 in a televised show expected to be watched by more than one billion people worldwide.
- Titanic male lead Leonardo DiCaprio, a heartthrob for teen-agers, was shut out of the nominations for best actor, even though he had been widely expected to make the list.
- James Cameron, the driving force behind Titanic, received two nominations: as producer of the film for best picture, and as the film's director. He was not nominated for the film's script.
- The 87-year-old Gloria Stuart in Titanic was nominated for best supporting actress. The Academy says she is the oldest performer ever nominated for an Oscar.
- The acting nominations of Kate Winslet and Stuart in Titanic represent the first time in Oscar history that two performers have been nominated for playing the same character in the same film.
- Woody Allen's 13th writing nomination, for Deconstructing Harry breaks Billy Wilder's record of 12 writing nominations.
- Among those missing from the Academy Award nominations were Steven Spielberg, whose Amistad was not selected for best picture and who did not receive a best director bid.
- The critically acclaimed The Ice Storm did not receive any nominations.
- Two of 1997's highest-grossing films failed to collect any top nominations. Men in Black and The Lost World: Jurassic Park combined for four minor selections.
- Jack Nicholson (As Good As It Gets) picked up his 11th nomination, the most ever for a male actor. He previously had shared the record of 10 nominations with British acting giant Sir Laurence Olivier. Katharine Hepburn holds the overall record for nominations, with 12.
- Best actress nominations were dominated by Britain. Helen Hunt (As Good As It Gets) is the only American in the running.
- L.A. Confidential and Good Will Hunting were nominated for nine Oscars each.
- As Good As It Gets was nominated for seven Academy Awards.
- Four films are nominated for four Oscars apiece. They are Amistad, Th Full Monty, Kundun, and The Wings of the Dove.
©1998 CBS Worldwide Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report