Well, Reece (Billy himself) visits The Early Show to share some of his favorite summer treats. And he says they are so easy, anyone can whip them up. Try them out. The following are his recipes for Key Lime Pie and Lemon Ice Cream:
Key Lime Pie with Gingersnap/Graham Crust
Yields: One 9-inch pie
For the crust
- Combine in a medium bowl: 1/3 cup (2.5 oz.) butter (melted and cooled), 1 cup of ginger snap crumbs and 1 cup of graham crumbs. Combine all ingredients until well incorporated.
- Transfer to a 9-inch aluminum pie tin or 9-inch regular pie dish. Press crumbs on bottom and sides (all the way to the rim) of pie dish.
- Pre-bake at 350 degrees regular oven for 8 min. Cool for 15 min.
For the pie
- Combine in a large bowl: 1 can sweetened condensed milk, 5 egg yolks, 1/2 cup of lime juice, squeezed and strained.
- Whisk egg yolks into condensed milk. Stir in lime juice until just combined. Fill cooled crust with filling.
- Bake at 325 degrees regular oven for 20-25 minutes, or until set. Do not allow pie to brown or bubble.
Old Fashioned Lemon Ice Cream
(Martha Macdougal - Portland, Maine)
Yields: 3 cups of ice cream
- In a medium bowl combine: Finely grated rind of 1 large lemon (or two small lemons), 3 Tbl. lemon juice, 1 cup of sugar. Combine all ingredients until well incorporated.
- Gradually stir in: 2 cups of light cream and 1/8 tsp. salt
- After mixing well, pour into vintage aluminum ice cube tray (without the cube insert) or a shallow rectangular container (with approx 2 1/2 to 3 cup capacity).
- Freeze until solid around the outside and mushy in the middle.
- Stir well with a wooden spoon, then cover and continue to freeze until firm.
Note: Ice cream will not set completely if the middle process of stirring the mixture isn't performed.