Anyone who has ever been to the beach knows you never hit the sand empty handed.
Mandi Norwood, editor-in-chief of Shop etc. magazine, was on The Early Show Thursday to describe what every fashionista is taking with her to the beach this year.
The following products were in her report:
- Lancome Flash Bronzer Airbrush, $28, Dillards, Macy's or www.lancome.com
- Neutrogena Micromist Tanning Sunless Spray, $11.99 Oil-free and alcohol-free. At drugstores nationwide.
- Sony CD/Radio Boom box, $99.95, www.sonystyle.com
- Ipod Accessories: Fully waterproof and submersible case/ear buds from H20 Audio; available for iPod and iPod mini. It costs $150. www.h2oaudio.com
- Altec Lansing Technology, Inc. iM3 portable speakers for iPod. requires only 4 AA batteries.
- Discovery UV Monitor, $9.99 This little clip-on UV monitor tells you when it's time to head for the shade before it's too late; www.shopping.discovery.com
- Physician Endorsed "St. Tropez". Drawstring around the top of your head lets you customize fit. $58 (51/2" brim), Nordstrom, 800-695-8000. Also available at physicianendorsed.com
- American Eagle Straw Hat. $6.95 at www.ae.com
- Emilio Pucci headscarves. cotton under $50.00; Henri Bendel, 212-247-1100
- Ray-Ban Avi. The ultimate look of summer, aviators are a hot accessory no matter where they're worn. Thinly framed, aviators provide complete eye coverage and these Ray-Bans provide the ultimate UVA protection. Whether lenses are polarized or colored with skewed or classic frames, aviators are a must-have beach look. Available at Sunglasses Hut.
- Roxy "Tank Girl II", www.roxy.com, $48.00. Water-resistant in up to 100 feet of water. Glow-in-the-dark and shock-proof rubber strap. Available in black, green, pink and white.
- Zodiac watch for men, water-resistant up to 330 feet. A man's watch with a big face for easy reading and a sturdy, thick rubber strap. $195.00.
- Salvatore Ferragamo "Felly" sandals in pink, $59. Also "Felly" sandals in blue, $135. Available at Salvatore Ferragamo boutiques and Neiman Marcus
- Bonjour Fleurette foam thongs and slides (Spa Dotty Flip Flop, $24; Spa Dotty Slide, $25; da Costa wedge thong, $42; Deauville, $47). Available at www.flowerslippers.com and Neiman Marcus Direct
- Yellow box "Sky" terry cloth thong, $27 Graphic and gorgeous Pucci-esque terry covers a cushiony footbed, providing style and shock absorption. Also in four other colors, www.flipfloptrunkshow.com
- Madras flip-flops for men, $24.50 www.jcrew.com
- Mossimo for Target Glitter flip-flops in pink, $9.99 Summery evening wear out on the town or the beach; Target, 800-800-8800 for locations
- Land's End Printed Beach Tote, $28.50 Big floral prints are so in this season, but this bag has it all: rope handles, a plastic interior, and it's machine washable; Land's End catalog 800-356-4444, or www.landsend.com
- Clever Carriage Company "Hotel du Cap, Antibes" Beach Tote, $375. Available from Clever Carriage Company, NY 212-268-1117, or www.neimanmarcus.com
- Go-Go Plastic Zipper Tote from Bonjour Fleurette, $39 Available at www.flowerslippers.com and Neiman Marcus Direct
- AKA New York Short Jacket in aqua, $148; Pom-poms, three-quarter sleeves, and a box cut make this lightweight, terry jacket great to put on after a swim. At select Nordstrom stores, 800-695-8000, or Intermix, 212-249-7858
- Izod terry dress, $54; All terry, comes in different colors, Robinson's May stores or www.robinsonsmay.com
- Whispering Palms Straw umbrella in tan $89; Whispering Palms, WA, www.raffiaumbrellas.com
- "The Sand Blaster" Umbrella in blue $29.50; a silver-coated lining provides SPF 50; at Kmart or www.4thebeach.com
- Colin Cowie for JCPenney, $24.99. A quilted seat and stay-put headrest make for cushy and portable lounging. JCPenney, 877-346-3527 for locations
- Portable Backpack Hammock, $99. Full-size and weighing 22 pounds, this portable hammock fits right in its own backpack so you can take it to the beach, camping or just into the backyard. Weather-safe and rust-resistant design includes a stainless steel frame and nylon hammock surface. Available at www.brookstone.com
- Full Swivel Beach Chair, $99. The Swivel Beach Chair lets you swivel 360 degrees to follow the sun throughout the day. It reclines to several different positions and holds up to 225 pounds. A carrying strap and lightweight, aluminum construction make it easy to transport. Available at www.brookstone.com
Towels and Blankets
- Juicy Couture "Surf's Up" in Morgan, $88. Ultimate one-stop beach towel that stuffs into its own drawstring bag. At Neiman Marcus.
- Rolle Beach Blankets, $295. Also stuffs into its own bag, this towel can double as a blanket, with removable corner coins to anchor when the wind picks up, and an inserted blow-up pillow. When folded, the bag has pockets in which to stash all your little beach necessities. Sold at www.rolleusa.com
- Extra-large round (designed as a 69-inch diameter circle) this towel is big enough for you to rotate your body, instead of the towel, so you can catch the rays at the perfect angle. It folds into itself and becomes a small bag. Includes a removable plastic pouch to keep cell phones and your MP3 player. 100 percent cotton. Machine wash. colors: white, light blue, navy, and yellow. Available at www.roundtowel.com and Target.
- Adjustable Solar Tiki Torch, $19.97 by Home Depot; the solar-powered bulb flickers like a flame. At Home Depot, 800-435-4654, or www.homedepot.com
- Coleman Retro Rechargeable Full-Size Lantern, $39.95 Can stand flat or hook, and recharges for up to 9 hours. Three settings, at www.rei.com
- PBteen "Suncatcher" table, $49, www.pbteen.com
- Lillian Vernon Solid Wood Table, 800-545-5426, or www.lillianvernon.com
Discovery UV Monitor, $9.99 (a Pocket-size device that measures UV rays)
- Thermos: Pearl Sea Company "Shanghai" flask in cotton candy stripe; $23. Available at www.pearlseacompany.com
- Orange and white beverage chiller with AM/FM radio, $29.99; Crank your favorite tunes and carry cold drinks with this rubber-handled, cushioned radio and cooler in one. Takes batteries or can be plugged in; at www.pbteen.com
- Collapsible 54-can Rolling Cooler, $39.99; Folds flat for easy storage, but can hold 54 cans plus ice. Inline wheels mean it's not awkward to stuff in the trunk. California Innovation, www.target.com
- Pack n'Play Sport from Graco (available at Walmart and Target) $149. Use it as a traditional play yard for children up to 35 inches tall or a play area for toddlers. It has padded tarp-like bottom and adjustable canopy.
- Speedminton Deluxe Set from Sharper Image, $59.95 A new racquet sport that is a cross between tennis and racquetball. Can play, day or night, indoors or out. Available at Sharper Image stores.