crimesider

Mich. Rape Suspect and Alleged Victim, 15, Both Found Dead in Van; Possible Murder-Suicide

Raymond Bush (AP Photo, file)
Rape Suspect Found Dead In Van With Girl, Hours From Testifying Against Man On Charges
Raymond Bush (AP Photo, file)

NEWPORT, Mich. (CBS/AP) Police have found Michigan man Raymond Bush and a 15-year-old girl he knew both dead in a van in a cemetery, hours after she was expected to testify against him on charges that he had sexually assaulted her, investigators said Thursday.

Authorities say they are investigating the deaths of Bush, 38, and teenager Taylor Manley, as a possible murder-suicide. State Police Detective Sgt. George D. Pratt told The Associated Press that both appeared to have been shot.

Pratt says Bush's ex-girlfriend told investigators Pratt called her Wednesday morning and said he fatally shot Taylor and planned to kill himself. State police had issued an Amber Alert on Wednesday saying Taylor had been abducted and listing Bush as a suspect.

Bush, of Newport, Mich., who had a tattoo of the girl's name on the back of his neck, had been scheduled to appear in court Wednesday for a preliminary proceeding in a case of criminal sexual conduct on behalf of the 15-year-old.

An arrest warrant was issued after Bush failed to appear, Clare County Sheriff John Wilson said.

Bush was arrested and arraigned on the charges in September, and was free after posting $50,000 bond, Wilson said.

Taylor was scheduled to testify and a judge was to rule whether there was enough evidence to send the case to trial, said Clare County Prosecutor Michelle Ambrozaitis.

Troopers found the van Wednesday evening in a cemetery in the southeastern Michigan community of Newport, about 35 miles outside of Detroit.

Bush had been facing charges punishable by up to 15 years in prison.

Autopsies are scheduled to determine cause of death, the Michigan State Police said.