John McCain's national finance co-chairman has stepped down, the latest casualty of a presidential campaign eager to cauterize damage caused by its ties to lobbyists.That brings to five the number of campaign workers McCain has had to fire recently. Here's the complete list:
Former Texas Rep. Thomas G. Loeffler....who runs the lobbying shop The Loeffler Group, is the highest profile departure from McCain's inner circle since a summer 2007 shake-up cost McCain his campaign manager and chief strategist.
- Thomas Loeffler, lobbyist for Saudi Arabia and various defense contractors. CEO of The Loeffler Group.
- Doug Goodyear, lobbyist for the military junta in Burma. CEO of DCI Group.
- Doug Davenport, also works for DCI Group.
- Eric Burgeson, energy lobbyist, works for Barbour Griffith & Rogers
- Craig Shirley, works for anti-Hillary 527 group that's not allowed to coordinate with presidential campaigns.
Only a child would believe that McCain didn't know who these guys were when he hired them. The press really needs to step up their game a notch on this story.