Man in critical condition after Memphis, Tenn. mall shooting

Police cars swarmed outside the Oak Court Mall in Memphis, Tenn. on Thursday after a man was shot.
CBS affiliate WREG

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - Police say a man was critically wounded in a shooting at a crowded Memphis mall Thursday evening.

A statement released by Memphis Police spokeswoman Sgt. Karen Rudolph says officers responded around 5:45 p.m. to a call about a shooting at the Oak Court Mall and found the victim. He was then transported to a hospital. CBS affiliate WREG reports that he is in critical condition.

According to the statement, four men were later detained but no charges had been filed as of late Thursday. Authorities said they were found outside the mall in a white Lincoln Town Car, according to WREG.

Police say it appears the victim and suspects knew each other and officers were told there was a verbal confrontation before the shooting. Witnesses told the station that the incident took place nearby the food court. One man said he heard five gunshots.

The mall was crowded when the shooting happened, and patrons ran for cover.

"It was a big bang," Mercedes Frazier, who was shopping when she heard the gunfire, told WREG. "It sounded like something big had just fell on the ground."

"It was really crazy. I was twitching and shaking. I was really scared," Frazier said. "All the stores started closing the doors and I heard people screaming and running. We all just ran to the back of the store.... There were babies back there with us, little girls that were crying and it was really sad."

"The security guards were running and they told [my friend and I] to go back into Dillard's. Some lady at a shoe store let us in and there was a little girl in there saying she saw someone getting shot," Cookie Farrell, another shopper, told the station. "Oh my gosh, it was horrible."

At about 7:30 p.m., Oak Court Mall released the following statement: "There was a security incident and one victim was taken to the hospital. Our thoughts and prayers are with the victim and their family. Customers and employees are leaving the mall, which will be closed for the rest of the evening while police further investigate this incident."