Lara Logan breaks silence on Cairo assault

CBS News foreign correspondent Lara Logan talks to Scott Pelley about sexual assault, her rescue and recovery

CBS All Access
This video is available on CBS All Access
It was a fight she endured about 25 minutes.

Logan: I was no doubt in my mind that I was in the process of dying. I thought, not only am I gonna die here, but it's gonna be just a torturous death that's going to go on forever and ever and ever.

Lara was dragged along by the mob until they were stopped by a fence. At that spot, a group of Egyptian women were camped out.

Logan: And I almost fell into the lap of this woman on the ground who was head to toe in black, just her eyes, I remember just her eyes, I could see.

Pelley: Wearing a chador.

Logan: Yes. And she put her arms around me. And oh my God, I can't tell you what that moment was like for me. I wasn't safe yet, because the mob was still trying to get at me. But now it wasn't just about me anymore. It was about their women and that was what saved me, I think. The women kind of closed ranks around me. And I remember one or two, maybe three men standing with them and throwing, the women were throwing water in the crowd. And they were pouring water over me, 'cause I couldn't breathe. You know I was I was rasping.

By this time her team had convinced a group of soldiers to go in after her.

Logan: Finally, finally some soldiers fought their way through the crowd with batons, beating the mob back, and that was the moment I thought, "I have a chance to get out of here alive." And I grabbed the first soldier and I did not let him go. I did, boy, I was not letting go of him. And I am screaming and hysterical, I'm like a wild thing at this point. Imagine my hair is everywhere because they tried to tear my scalp to pieces, my clothes are shredded, I am filthy, black with dirt from going down into the filth.

Pelley: The soldiers took you out of there?

Logan: That one soldier that I was holding onto, he threw me over his back and they still had to beat the mob back to get through it, back to the tank, where they had more soldiers.

Pelley: What happened in that moment when you first were reunited with the rest of the crew?

Logan: I remember Max going down on his knees in front of me. And he said, "I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry. "

By the time producer Max McClellan saw Lara, she was in the arms of one of the drivers, dangling as if her legs were broken.

Max McClellan: She looked like a rag doll. She looked completely limp. She looked like someone who was physically, emotionally and mentally spent. Overwhelmed.

The soldiers drove Lara and her "60 Minutes" team back to their hotel, where a doctor examined her.

McClellan: She was basically sore everywhere. Head to toe. It was like she had been through some sort of grinder.

The next morning, Max and Lara flew back to the U.S.

Pelley: When you landed in Washington, you didn't go home. You went straight to the hospital.

Logan: And I stayed there for four days, which was hard. My muscles were so unbelievably sore, because they were literally stretched from the mob trying to tear my limbs off my body. My joints, every joint in my body was distended. And then they, the more intimate injuries, the injuries, the tearing inside. And the mark of their hands, their fingers all over my body, cuts and everything you could imagine. But no broken bones.