Watch CBSN Live

La. teacher Sylviane Finck Lozada missing, foul play possible, say cops

Sylviane Finck Lozada Personal Photo

(CBS/WAFB/AP) BATON ROUGE, La. - The East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office is considering the possibility of foul play in the disappearance of Brusly High School teacher, Sylviane Finck Lozada, more than two weeks ago.

Pictures: La. high school teacher missing

Lozada, a foreign language teacher at Brusley High, was reported missing July 18 after her relatives in Belgium could not get in touch with her, sheriff's department spokeswoman Casey Rayborn Hicks said Monday. They last heard from her around July 5.

Physical evidence from Lozada's home supports possible foul play in the case. Though police have not disclosed specifics to the public, EBR detectives say that Lozada's husband, Oscar Lozada, bought multiple gray five-gallon bucks and multiple bags of concrete shortly before she disappeared, reports CBS affiliate WAFB.

The buckets and bags have not been found, Hicks said, and Oscar Lozada has not been named as a suspect in the case.

Oscar Lozada, and the couple's daughter boarded a plane in Dallas destined for Venezuela on July 9, Hicks said. They were scheduled to return July 14, but they have not returned, she said. Oscar Lozada is from Venezela and has dual citizenship in the United States.

When asked about the possibility of extraditing Oscar Lozada back to Louisiana from Venezuela, East Baton Rouge Parish District Attorney Hillar Moore III said an arrest warrant would first have to be filed against Oscar Lozada.

During the past week, detectives have been unable to contact Oscar Lozada, Hicks said. However, detectives have communicated with him since Sylviane was reported missing, she said.

Seven months ago, the Sheriff's Office was contacted twice about arguments between Sylviane and Oscar Lozada, Hicks said.

On Dec. 3, Sylviane contacted authorities because her husband was throwing things during an argument and she watned him to leave, Hicks said.

On Dec. 31, Hicks said, deputies were called to Our Lady of Lake Regional Medical Center after Sylviane told medical personnel her husband pushed her down during an argument. When she fell, she hit a counter that left a bruise, Hicks said.