La Salle High School Shooting Update: Honors student attempted suicide with semiautomatic handgun, officials say

The scene at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center where a La Salle student was taken after he tried to commit suicide.
The scene at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center where a La Salle High School student was taken after he apparently tried to commit suicide in class.

(CBS/WKRC/AP) CINCINNATI - Officials say the Ohio teen who tried to commit suicide with a gun in front of 22 other students in his first-period classroom at La Salle High School on Monday was an honors student, according to CBS affiliate WKRC.

La Salle High School, west of Cincinnati, was locked down until after police arrived and determined there was no threat to other students or staff. A University of Cincinnati Medical Center spokeswoman reported the student's condition as critical Monday afternoon, about six hours after the shooting.

Green Township Police Chief Bart West described the weapon as a semi-automatic handgun. He said police were investigating how the student obtained the gun and how he brought it into the school.

West said there were 22 other students in the classroom, and the episode was over "in a matter of seconds" with no other students injured or apparently threatened. Several students called 911 dispatchers.

"There's a guy with a gun," said a student who called on his cellphone from inside a nearby locked room. "We just need police here ...."

"We're huddled in a corner," another student said in a call.

There was conflicting information on precisely what time the shooting took place, but school officials said it was during the first class period of the day.

Hospital spokeswoman Diana Maria Lara released a statement from the boy's parents thanking people for their thoughts and prayers while asking for privacy "so that we can do what we need to for our son and family." They praised the hospital medical staff's "heroic efforts."

West said the student apparently was trying to kill himself, but he had no information on why. School officials described him as an honors student with 80 hours of community service, and didn't know of any threats to the school or any other students. The Hamilton County sheriff's office said it would search the building with dogs as a precaution against explosives, but said they had no indication there were any other weapons.

Students, some in tears, gathered in the school gym after the shooting. The school's website said all students were safe, and were being released to parents "due to an attempted suicide involving one student." Grief counselors from the Roman Catholic archdiocese joined the school's counselors in meeting with students and staff, and Monday evening school activities were canceled.

School officials said classes would resume Tuesday, with the school day beginning in a prayer service.

Complete coverage of the La Salle High School shooting on Crimesider