L.A. arson suspect's charges being raised to 100

Harry Burkhart, suspected in a series of arson fires, appears during his arraignment in Los Angeles Superior Court Jan. 4, 2012, in Los Angeles.
AP GraphicsBank

LOS ANGELES - A German man suspected of setting dozens of arsons that terrorized Los Angeles over the New Year's weekend will face additional charges, authorities said Tuesday.

A criminal complaint against Harry Burkhart, 24, was being amended to include a total of 100 arson-related counts involving 49 fires, said Jane Robison, a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles County district attorney's office.

Burkhart was charged with 37 counts earlier this month and held on $2.85 million bail. New charges are expected to be filed later Tuesday, followed by Burkhart's court appearance.

Trouble followed L.A. arson suspect and mom
German man charged with arson spree in L.A.
Details emerge on mom of LA arson suspect

The rash of fires left residents on edge between Dec. 30 and Jan. 2 as parked cars were torched during the night in Hollywood, West Hollywood and the San Fernando Valley. Some of the fires spread to carports and nearby buildings, including a former home of Doors singer Jim Morrison. Another one of the blazes was at the Hollywood and Highland entertainment complex, a popular tourist destination bordered by the Walk of Fame.

The complaint alleged the arson was caused by the use of a device designed to accelerate the fire. Court documents revealed an incendiary device was placed under the engine area of cars.

Authorities believe Burkhart was angry over his mother's legal troubles. Dorothee Burkhart is wanted in Germany on 19 counts of fraud and awaiting extradition. She's scheduled to appear in a Los Angeles courtroom Wednesday.