Accusing security forces of trying to wipe out ethnic Albanians in the Yugoslav province of Kosovo, Britain called an emergency meeting of the U.N. Security Council to condemn the killings.
The latest allegations of massacres by Serb police and the Yugoslav army came after diplomats, journalists and human rights workers reported evidence of atrocities.
CBS News Senior European Correspondent Tom Fenton reports that in the woods of central Kosovo, Western observers found evidence of one atrocity earlier this week.
Survivors say the killers wore uniforms and masks as they slit the throat of a 10-year-old boy, killed his mother, hacked up another female relative and shot a pregnant woman. At least 18 people were killed, all ethnic Albanians.
Evidence of a similar atrocity was found a few miles away. A witness says women were stripped before they were shot. They are the latest victims in the struggle for independence by ethnic Albanians, who make up 90 percent of the population of Kosovo.
Serbia, under Slobodan Milosivic, has conducted a seven-month-campaign to crush the rebellion.
The Serbs now claim that peace reigns in Kosovo and that the Albanians can return to their homes. But the Serbs are continuing their scorched-earth campaign, setting fire to at least a dozen villages in Kosovo.
Paddy Ashdown, a British member of Parliament, witnessed it.
"This is unquestionably an act of criminality for which I have absolutely no doubt individuals in command and politicians who allowed it on the Serb side could be indicted as war criminals," Ashdown said.
The Serbs have been given repeated warnings, and have ignored them all. The Clinton administration has been talking about action for months and is still talking.
There will be another meeting of Western diplomats on Friday. Maybe this latest horror will be the straw that breaks the camel's back and finally triggers NATO air strikes.