Mr. Clinton's lawyers now have until Aug. 29 to answer the state's complaint that the president gave misleading testimony during the Paula Jones sexual harassment case and is no longer fit to be a lawyer.
The president's response had been due Aug. 1. The state's prosecutor said she didn't object to the delay, so long as the proceedings can be wrapped up by the end of the year, when the judge hearing the case leaves office.
In court papers filed Tuesday, Mr. Clinton said that his presidential duties prevented him from preparing a response to a complaint filed by the state Supreme Court's Committee on Professional Conduct.
Mr. Clinton shepherded Middle East peace talks at Thurmont, Md., for much of the last three weeks and also traveled to Tokyo for a meeting of world leaders.
The conduct committee sued Mr. Clinton on June 30, saying the president should be disbarred for lying under oath about his relationship with former White House intern Monica Lewinsky.
Complaints from the Southeastern Legal Foundation of Atlanta and the federal judge in the Jones case led to the recommendation. The judge found Mr. Clinton in contempt of court and referred the case to the conduct committee.