Watch CBS News

Israel Responds To Lebanon Rocket Fire

Israeli forces fired artillery north into Lebanon on Wednesday in response to a rocket attack, and Lebanese troops dismantled more rockets that were set to be fired, Lebanese security officials said.

The exchange was the second since Israel launched an offensive in Gaza against Hamas on its southern flank on Dec. 27 and threatens to ignite a new front in the north.

No one was hurt after three rockets fell in open areas near the Israeli town of Kiryat Shemona, but residents were ordered into bomb shelters, Israeli police said. There was no immediate word of casualties in the retaliatory fire on Lebanon.

Hours after the initial morning exchange, three more Grad rockets that were set to be fired were discovered and dismantled by Lebanese troops, the security officials said.

Southern Lebanon has been largely quiet since the summer 2006 war between Israel and the militant Hezbollah movement - a bruising 34-day battle in which more than 1,000 people were killed in Lebanon and about 160 in Israel.

The Lebanese said several rockets were fired Wednesday from the south and at least one fell short inside Lebanon. No one claimed responsibility for them.

Israel responded by launching at least eight artillery shells at the source of the rockets near the village of Kfar Hamam. Also, Israeli helicopter gunships flew reconnaissance missions along the heavily protected border as Lebanese troops and U.N. peacekeepers sent out patrols, Lebanese officials said. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not allowed to speak to the press.

Residents in the region took their children out of school in fear of an escalation.

The area from where the rockets were fired is controlled by Lebanese troops and the U.N. peacekeeping force.

Last Thursday, four rockets were also fired on northern Israel from the area, but from the stretch of the border closer to the Mediterranean coastline. At that time, Israel also responded with several shells.

Lebanese and U.N. troops intensified patrols after last week's attack. Lebanese briefly detained several people after that attack but released them after it turned out they were not involved.

Speculation has focused on small militant Palestinian groups in Lebanon seeking to aid the militant Palestinian Hamas.

In related developments:

  • CBSNews.com broke the story Wednesday morning of a new audiotape by al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden. Bin Laden said the decline of America's dominance on the world stage was one of the main factors which prompted Israel to launch its offensive in Gaza. He called for Jihad to defeat Israel.
  • Aides say Prime Minister Ehud Olmert stands by his claim that he caused the U.S. to abstain from a U.N. resolution calling for a halt in Gaza fighting. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice negotiated the resolution. Olmert claimed earlier this week that he humiliated Rice by persuading U.S. President Bush to instruct her not to vote for it. Rice spokesman Sean McCormack has called Olmert's claims "100-percent, totally, completely not true."
  • The Israeli navy has intercepted an Iranian ship loaded with medicine, food and clothing destined for Gaza and forced the vessel to head toward an Egyptian port, Iran's state television reported Wednesday. Meanwhile, in a gesture of support with the Palestinians in Gaza, Iran's top leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, issued a religious opinion, or fatwa, declaring the purchase of any Israeli goods or trade with Israeli companies to be forbidden.

    Hezbollah, the main anti-Israeli force in Lebanon which fought Israel in the 2006 war, denied responsibility for Thursday's attack, and said it did not want to be drawn into a battle with Israel. The Shiite militant group, an ally of Hamas, possesses a formidable arsenal of rockets and fired about 4,000 on Israel during the 2006 fighting.

    The Lebanese government moved quickly since to try to prevent an escalation, condemning the firing of the rockets and pledging to remain committed to the 2006 U.N.-brokered truce.

    Troops later discovered disused rockets during one of the patrols, and on Tuesday Defense Minister Elias Murr said army commandos have been deployed to comb southern valleys and hills for more rockets.

    A spokeswoman for the 13,000-strong U.N. Interim Force in Lebanon said Wednesday the exact location of the latest firing has not been confirmed. Yasmina Bouziane said the mission, in cooperation with the Lebanese army, is currently investigating on the ground in the eastern part of the peacekeepers' sector to locate the launching site.

    Southern Lebanon has for decades been used as a launching pad for rocket attacks against Israel, first by Palestine Liberation Organization guerrillas in the 1960s and 1970s and in the 1980s through 2006 by Hezbollah and other factions. Israel has often retaliated with punishing raids on Lebanon and two major invasions of its northern neighbor in 1978 and 1982.

  • View CBS News In
    CBS News App Open
    Chrome Safari Continue