Wearing leggings carries a number of "don'ts," but what are the "do's"?
According to Adam Glassman, creative director of O, the Oprah magazine, leggings can go wrong really quickly.
"It's a fine line between stylish and tacky," he said.
So how can you look good in leggings?
Glassman shared his tips on "The Early Show" for how to make leggings fit in your wardrobe:
1. FABRIC: Leggings are all about fabric technology - choose leggings with thick, matte fabric in dark colors.
2. BALANCE: Most women need his and tush covering. Balance the fitted bottom with a roomier top that's long enough on top.
3. FOOTWEAR: The best footwear for leggings are flats, boots or a very plain pump. Remember to dress monochromatically, so match shoes to leggings. The goal is to look longer and leaner.
4. ACCESSORY: Think of leggings as an accessory. Don't build your look around them -- you should add leggings to you look. Leggings should match something in you look - if there's a lot of brown, wear brown leggings.
• Leggings are not stirrup pants -- that look is not back and should not be back.
• Leggings do not have feet -- don't mistake opaque tights for leggings.
LOOKS SEEN ON "THE EARLY SHOW":
GIRLS NIGHT OUT LOOK
• This is the look you're probably most familiar with.
• Leggings: Jeans leggings - "Jeggings" - look of the skinny jean, but more comfortable.
• Paired with a leather jacket and mini dress.
• Also pair with a longer flowing dress. This is a season bridging trick. Stretch a summery dress into fall with leggings
• Layering is key when wearing leggings - we paired with a jacket.
Black tank, Three Dots
Leather jacket, Vince
Deep purple mini dress, Riller & Fount
Denim-looking leggings, Daddy Longlegs
Shoes: Zigi Girl studded flats
• First tip is to access you work environment. Leggings are appropriate for a job in a creative field.
• Black is the safest choice - work is not a time to experiment or be trendy.
• Think of them as a black trouser.
• Paired here with a long sweater - belted for shape.
• Matched the shoe to the legging for a longer leaner look.
Leggings: Magaschoni, knit/black
Purple tee, Majestic
Sweater coat/cardigan - M Missoni
Shoes: Joan and David black suede ankle boots
EASY EVENING LOOK:
• Take leggings into the evening. This look is great for going out to dinner
• The boyfriend jacket is longer to cover the hips, but still provides structure
• The sequined shell makes it evening - it's the hot item of the season - you'll find everywhere.
Top: Gryphon, New York
Leggings: Hue, black
Shoes: Michael Kors patent low heel Mary Janes
• What's great about this look are the leather leggings.
• Leather is great for winter - and these are especially comfortable with stretch.
• You can take them from day to evening.
• In this daytime look, we layered with a plaid shirt that's popular and a knit vest - notice the length proportion.
• While these are more expensive - you can find a faux leather pant at Express, for example.
Plaid long top, Theory
Gray short sleeve cardigan, Theory
Shoes: DaniBlack brown suede over the knee boots
Brown leather leggings -- Milly leggings
for more features.