Lieberman's focus is on simple and affordable meals that are fun to prepare for friends. He shares a few recipes on The Saturday Early Show's Chef on a Shoestring. With a $40 budget, he prepares a summer meal for four.
Lieberman has always enjoyed cooking, and it was in college that he persuaded some of his buddies to help him produce a cooking show on local TV. The show became so popular that Lieberman attracted the attention of the national media.
Try his recipes for Chilled Cucumber Soup, Grilled Chili-Rubbed Flank Steak with Fresh Corn Salad, and Peach Tart, and see why.
Chilled Cucumber Scallion Yogurt Soup
1 English cucumber, peeled (reserve end of cucumber for garnish)
1/2 cup packed flat parsley leaves
1 cup plain full fat yogurt
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 bunch radishes (washed and chopped for garnish)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with diced cucumber and radish.
Chili-Rubbed Flank Steak with Fresh Corn Tomato Salad
1 recipe Dave's Chili Rub (see below)
1 flank steak, about 1 1/4 lbs
extra-virgin olive oil
Dave's Rub Ingredients:
3/4 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Crush the oregano by pressing it into your palm with one thumb.
- Mix oregano with rest of ingredients in a small bowl until evenly mixed.
- Work the rub into both sides of the steak with your fingertips.
- Rub enough oil over the steak so the meat is glistening. You can rub the steak up to three hours or so before you cook it.
- Cover steak with plastic wrap and refrigerate until about 30 minutes before you cook it.
- Prepare the charcoal in your grill for cooking.
- Once the coals are hot, grill the flank steak for five minutes, moving it around a bit. Flip the steak over and cook until it's done to your liking. (A flank steak of this size will be medium-rare about six minutes after flipping)
- Take the steak off the grill and let it rest for about 10 minutes before slicing.
- If you look at the flank steak, you'll notice that the grain runs very definitely in one direction.
- Cut the steak against the grain into thin slices. Serve slices over corn-tomato salad.