The timing of FIFA'S worst-ever corruption scandal hasn't appeared to hurt Sepp Blatter, the 16-year president of soccer's international governing body.
"[FIFA's]Congress, they are of the opinion that I am still the man to go into these problems and to solve these problems," Blatter said at a news conference Saturday, a day after he was elected to a fifth term.
"These problems" include Wednesday's indictment of Blatter's seven top lieutenants by U.S. prosecutors. The same day, Swiss prosecutors opened criminal proceedings into FIFA's awarding of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.
"I forgive but I don't forget when it comes to persons," Blatter said, claiming that the indictments and arrests were an attempt to interfere with the FIFA elections.
"I am not certain... but it doesn't smell good," he said.
The 79-year-old also denied being the "high-ranking FIFA official" the Department of Justice mentioned in the indictment. That person allegedly bribed North American organizers, wiring them $10 million so they would vote in favor of hosting the men's 2010 World Cup in South Africa.
"There's a problem with FIFA but I don't think this is the end of it," England Football Association chairman Greg Dyke said. "I will put money that Mr. Blatter isn't there in four years time."
So far, 14 people have been arrested in cases involving more than $150 million in bribes and money-laundering schemes spanning a 24-year period. Some of the arrests included marketing and soccer officials.
The FIFA Women's World Cup begins next week. Team USA goalie Hope Solo told CBS News the negative attention will not impact the team.
"It doesn't change our ultimate goal," Solo said. "At the end of the day I am here to be the best goalie and teammate I can possibly be."
Officials with the Department of Justice said more indictments were possible. Some soccer associations have threatened to boycott the next men's World Cup, which will be held in Russia in 2018.