The Brown Palace Hotel
Mixed Garden Lettuces with Almond-Crusted Goat Cheese with White Grape Vinaigrette
Grilled Atlantic Salmon with Caramelized Fennel
Mixed Garden Lettuces with Almond-Crusted Goat Cheese And White Grape Vinaigrette
4 oz. Assorted lettuces
2 oz. Toasted almonds, chopped fine
4 oz. Goat cheese, sliced thin (use unflavored dental floss)
4 oz. Red seedless grapes, cut in half
1 ea. Shallot, minced
4 oz. White seedless grapes
2 oz. Grape seed oil
1 oz. Rice wine vinegar
Salt and Pepper
- Puree the white grapes in a food processor. Strain the juice through a cheesecloth.
- Add grape seed oil, rice wine vinegar and shallots to the white grape juice.
- Whisk and adjust seasoning accordingly. Hold for service.
- Gently coat goat cheese slices with toasted almonds.
- Clean lettuces, pat dry, and hold in a separate salad bowl.
- Carefully add desired amount of dressing to lettuces and gently toss.
- Arrange lettuce on chilled salad plates.
- Garnish with goat cheese and red grapes.
Braised Fennel and Crimini Mushrooms With Sherry Wine Butter
4 ea. 5-ounce salmon fillets, boneless and skinless
2 oz. Olive oil
1 bulb Fennel, sliced thin
8 oz. Crimini mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
6 oz. Sherry wine
3 oz. Whole butter
Salt and Pepper
1 oz. Sorrel, chiffonade
- In a hot medium-sized pan, add 1 ounce of olive oil.
- Add fennel and sauté until almost tender.
- Add mushrooms and sherry wine.
- Lower heat and reduce until almost dry.
- Add butter and adjust seasoning. Hold warm for service.
- Brush salmon fillets with remaining olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place on medium hot grill. After 2 minutes, turn fillets one-quarter turn and grill for 2 more minutes.
- Turn fillets to opposite side and repeat step #7 or until desired doneness.
- On warm dinner plates, spoon equal amounts of braised fennel and mushrooms onto the center of the plate.
- Place salmon fillets on top and coat with remaining sauce from fennel-mushroom mix.
- Garnish with sorrel and serve.
For Tempura Batter:
6 oz. All purpose flour
8 oz. Very cold water
1 Tbsp. Granulated sugar
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix thoroughly.
8 oz. Half & Half
1 oz. Vanilla extract
3 oz. Granulated sugar
3 ea. Egg yolks
- In a small sauce pot, combine half and half, and vanilla extract. Bring to a boil.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine sugar and egg yols. Mix well.
- Slowly add half & half into sugar and egg yolks, while constantly whisking.
- Pour mixture back into sauce pot, and while constantly whisking, heat until the sauce will coat the back of the spoon. Do not bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat, cool in an ice bath, and refrigerate.
20 ea. Strawberries with long stems
1 cup Cinnamon-Sugar (1 cup sugar mixed with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon)
1 qt. Vegetable oil
4 ea Mint sprigs
- In a deep sauce pan, bring 1 quart of vegetable oil to 450 degrees.
- Dip strawberries, one at a time, into tempura batter and place in the oil. Fry for approximately 30 seconds.
- Remove and place in cinnamon sugar.
On chilled dessert plates, spoon vanilla cream onto plates. Place 5 strawberries on each plate.
©MMI, CBS Worldwide Inc. All Rights Reserved