(CBS/AP) MARBLEHEAD, Mass. - After months of enduring a leaking pipe that buckled its floors and sagged its ceilings, an empty Massachusetts house somehow called police for help.
The Salem News reports the 911 call went out to police from a house in Marblehead on Wednesday after water short-circuited the phone system, apparently sparking the emergency call.
Officers were sent to the address after the call was recorded as a hang up and a return call got static.
Inside, they found the wreckage, including potentially toxic mold, from a pipe that apparently burst during the winter.
Town officials say the interior may have to be gutted.
Police couldn't immediately locate owner James Cowen. His cousin, William Cowen, said he's not worried. He says James was left financially secure by his father and often travels.