Watch CBS News

Corona beer maker shrugs off misinformation on coronavirus

Evacuated Americans under quarantine
195 Americans being tested in U.S. after being evacuated from China 03:03

Corona beer maker Constellation Brands is brushing off misinformation spread by social media users that erroneously links the Mexican beer brand to the deadly China coronavirus.

The fast-spreading coronavirus has killed more than 170 people in China and set off a flood of misinformation on Facebook. 

People's wildly incorrect ideas extended to Corona beer, with the popular brew from Mexico seeing a deluge of Google searches in the past week along with the terms "beer virus" and "corona beer virus." 

In the U.S., Google Trends figures that 57% of those that searched one of those terms in recent days searched for "beer virus," while the remaining 43% looked for "corona beer virus."

The search engine on Tuesday tweeted that "coronavirus symptoms" had jumped 1,050% this week.

A spokesperson for publicly traded Constellation Brands said the company is not overly concerned about its beer brand getting a bad rap.

"We believe that consumers, by and large, understand there's no linkage between the virus and our beer/business," a spokesperson emailedCBS MoneyWatch.

The U.S. company's stock price was about $190 a share on Thursday, down slightly from $195 last Friday.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.