PORTSMOUTH, Ohio -- Police who responded to a report of an Ohio toddler apparently passing out on a sidewalk from a suspected drug overdose in the middle of the night say she was treated at a hospital, and her parents are charged with child endangering.
Portsmouth police say a frantic person approached an officer Wednesday, shortly after midnight, seeking help for the 18-month-old girl, who was unconscious and having trouble breathing. According to CBS affiliate WTRF, as the officer approached the scene he saw an SUV driving away. Police say the girl’s father and another man drove her to the hospital.
WTRF reports that the child was flown to Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus, where as of Wednesday she was still undergoing treatment. Toxicology tests have reportedly not yet determined the cause of her unconscious state.
Police found the girl’s 26-year-old mother unresponsive from a suspected heroin overdose inside their apartment nearby. She also received medical treatment.
Court records didn’t list attorneys for the parents.