CBSN

Child swallows SpongeBob SquarePants

Radiopaedia

Dr. Ghofran Ageely, a radiology resident at King Abdulaziz University Hospital, in Jeddah was stunned to find a freckled SpongeBob SquarePants smiling at him through x-rays from a 16-month-old boy's chest.

In an email to LiveScience, Ageely wrote: "I opened the frontal view and was shocked. 'SpongeBob,' I screamed!!! I was amazed by the visible details. You can see his freckles, shoes and fingers...AMAZING."

Though the doctor was shocked to see such intricate details of the toy lodged in the boy's esophagus, swallowing foreign objects is a common problem for children aged 1 to 3 years old.

Any child displaying symptoms including vomiting, gagging, drooling, stomach pain, coughing or wheezing, should be watched carefully. And parents should immediately call a health care provider or local emergency number, such as 911, the National Institutes of Health advises.

ingested-foreign-body-spongebob-squarepants.png