Watch CBSN Live

Chicago standoff ends with cop shot, one suspect dead

CHICAGO -- One suspect is dead and another in custody following a five-hour standoff in Chicago involving a suspect in multiple weekend shootings in Indiana, reports CBS Chicago.

Details were sketchy, but the incident started when a police captain was shot outside an apartment building, apparently while trying to catch the Indiana suspect, the station says.

Capt. Edward Kulbida, 58, was hit at about 6 p.m. SWAT teams and police raced to the building and surrounded it. They stormed the building late Tuesday night and found one suspect dead and took the other into custody, says CBS Chicago.

Kulbida is being treated for gunshot injuries to the head and chest, a spokeswoman for Stroger Hospital told CBS Chicago, which says the injuries aren't life-threatening and Kulbida is in good condition. Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy said he is going to be OK.

Kulbida is a 29-year veteran of the Chicago police force. His injuries are believed to be graze wounds, and it's likely a gunshot to his shoulder was absorbed by his captain's protective vest.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel was seen at the hospital where Kulbida is being treated.

CBS affiliate WISH-TV in Indianapolis reports that one of the suspects is 42-year-old Daniel Brown, who is thought to have shot a woman behind a gas station and carjacked a man in Indianapolis. Police say Brown also shot a man and woman at a motel, all on Saturday night.

It wasn't clear whether Brown was the suspect taken into custody in Chicago.

It's believed Brown's sister may have lived in the Chicago apartment building where the standoff occurred. The building was evacuated during the standoff.

Indianapolis Police Chief Rick Hite said in a statement issued during the standoff, "Our thoughts and prayers are with the Chicago Police Department, their wounded officer, Superintendent Garry McCarthy, and to the officers still on the scene dealing with this volatile situation. The IMPD has been in contact with CPD and we will continue to monitor the situation. We encourage all of our citizens to pray for a peaceful conclusion, but justice must be served."

Chicago transit buses were re-routed away from the building during the standoff and train service was suspended in the area.

View CBS News In