Charlie Sheen Hospitalized: Returns to LA After Allegedly Trashing NYC Hotel Room

Charlie Sheen Hospitalized: Returns to LA After Allegedly Trashing NYC Hotel Room
Charlie Sheen is seen in a Jan. 28, 2009, photo (AP)

NEW YORK (CBS/WCBS/AP) Actor Charlie Sheen was hospitalized Tuesday for a psychiatric evaluation after a woman told police that the "Two and a Half Men" star was throwing furniture and yelling in his room at the New York City Plaza Hotel.

Stan Rosenfield, Sheen's spokesman, said the actor was taken to New York-Presbyterian Hospital after having an allergic reaction to medication. He was not arrested and went voluntarily, reports CBS station WCBS.

According to a law enforcement official, Sheen appeared highly intoxicated when police were called to the room around 2:00 a.m. A woman, who has not been identified, allegedly called police from inside the bathroom of the hotel room for help.

The New York Post reported that police officials said the woman was an escort.

Sources said the unidentified woman in the room claimed Sheen, 45, was acting irrationally and throwing furniture. Sheen reportedly told police he had been "out partying" and flew into a rage when he noticed his wallet was missing after returning to his room, reports WCBS.

At least $7,000 in damages to the hotel room was recorded, sources said. Tables and chairs had apparently been thrown around the room and a chandelier was also damaged.

The Plaza Hotel is not filing any charges.

Sunday night, Sheen, ex-wife Denise Richards, and their daughters Sam, 6, and Lola, 5, went to a showing of "Mary Poppins" as part of a long family weekend. They all stayed in separate rooms at the Plaza Hotel. According to reports, Richards accompanied Sheen to the hospital.

The incident was the latest in a series of troubles for Sheen who has had problems with alcohol and drugs in the past.

In August, he pleaded guilty in Aspen, Colo. to misdemeanor third-degree assault after a Christmas Day assault on his second wife, Brooke Mueller Sheen., reports WCBS. Prosecutors dropped more serious charges and he avoided jail time and was sentenced to 30 days in a rehabilitation center, 30 days of probation and 36 hours of anger management.

Rosenfield said Sheen headed back to Los Angeles Tuesday night.