Here's a look at the week ahead on our "Sunday Morning" Calendar:
Monday is Labor Day, our national holiday dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers.
- History of Labor Day (Department of Labor)
- 10 fascinating facts about the Labor Day holiday (National Constitution Center)
- Here's how to plan the perfect getaway for Labor Day weekend (CBS News, 08/31/17)
- Faith Salie: Don't forget to take your vacation days! ("Sunday Morning," 08/31/14)
Tuesday sees the opening of Senate hearings into the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh to the United States Supreme Court.
On Wednesday, stand-up comedian and actor Bob Newhart celebrates his 89th birthday.
- Follow @BobNewhart on Twitter and Facebook
- Bob Newhart celebrates 50 years in showbiz (05/12/10)
- Bob Newhart bronzed for posterity (07/28/04)
- Bob Newhart accepts Kennedy Center's Mark Twain Prize for American Humor (10/30/02)
Bob Newhart's impression of Joe Pesci as a GPS voice on "Conan":
Thursday is Pet Night on Capitol Hill in Washington, a chance for Members of Congress and their staffs to celebrate the role that pets play in our lives.
- Pet Night on Capitol Hill, Sept. 6 at 5:30 p.m. at the Rayburn House Office Building, Washington, D.C.
- Human Animal Bond Research Institute
- Pet Leadership Council
Friday is the night for the Stand Up to Cancer telethon, broadcast live on multiple networks and cable channels (including CBS).
- standuptocancer.org | Donate
- Stand Up to Cancer on CBS, Sept. 7 at 8 p.m. ET/7 p.m. Central
- Talent lineup
- Follow @SU2C on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube
And Saturday is International Literacy Day, with events aimed at promoting literacy around the globe.
- International Literacy Day, Sept. 8 (International Literacy Association)
- International Literacy Day, Sept. 8 (United Nations)
- Adult literacy in the U.S. (National Center for Education Statistics)
- Therapy dogs help kids improve reading (CBS News, 09/24/17)
- Reading Is Fundamental (rif.org)
- National Assessment of Adult Literacy (National Center for Education Statistics)
- National Center for Family Literacy