Live

Watch CBSN Live

Cain may take legal action against Politico, Washington Post says

Politico reporter Jonathan Martin confronts presidential candidate Herman Cain outside CBS News Washington bureau Sunday Oct. 30, 2011.

Herman Cain is considering taking legal action against Politico for first reporting that he had been charged with sexual harassment more than a decade ago, the Washington Post reported.

"This is likely not over with Politico from a legal perspective," a campaign official told the newspaper, though the official did not explain precisely what that meant.

Politico said it had not heard about any charges from the Cain campaign.

"We have heard nothing from the Cain campaign. We stand confidently behind every story Politico reporters have written on the topic," said Jim VandeHei, the publication's executive editor.

The Washington Post said the Cain campaign "has had an attorney advising it since Saturday on crisis management, which hasn't gone particularly well for Cain since the story broke Sunday night."

Politico started a firestorm for the Cain campaign on Sunday after one of its reporters confronted Cain as left the CBS News Washington Bureau to ask him if he had ever been accused of sexual harassment and later that day published the first story on the matter after Cain did not deny the accusations.

The publication on Thursday unveiled new details about the scandal, reporting that Cain made what one accuser called "an unwanted sexual advance" toward her at a event run by the National Restaurant Association and that she reported it to an NRA board member that same night.

Analysis: The Herman Cain sideshow
Would a Cain implosion benefit Gingrich?
Source disputes account of Cain impropriety at Va. dinner