Belgium cops find 6th body after Liege attack

A body suspected to be Nordine Amrani, the gunman who opened fire on a square packed with children and Christmas shoppers in the eastern Belgian city of Liege, lies on the ground, Dec. 13, 2011.

BRUSSELS - Police say they have found the body of a woman at the home of the gunman who killed four people and injured 122 in a shooting and grenade attack in the city of Liege.

A spokeswoman said Wednesday that the body of the 45-year-old had been discovered during a search of Nordine Amrani's apartment. Amrani was also among those found dead after the attack in Liege city center, but police have not said if he committed suicide or died by accident. He did not die at the hands of police, Liege Prosecutor Danielle Reynders said.

The spokeswoman would not be identified under department rules.

The woman whose body was found his home was reportedly a cleaner who worked for a neighbor.

Amrani — a Liege resident — also died in Tuesday's attack. The 33-year-old, who had spent time in jail for offenses involving guns and drugs, had been called in for questioning by police in a sexual abuse case.

Officials said Amrani left his home with a backpack, armed with hand grenades, a revolver and an FAL assault rifle. He walked to a busy downtown square and started lobbing grenades and shooting at shoppers.

Belgian officials have ruled out political terrorism, but they've yet to announce any suspected motive.

He walked alone to the central square, then got onto a platform that gave him an ideal view of the square below, which was bedecked with a huge Christmas tree and crowded with shoppers.

From there, Amrani lobbed three hand grenades toward a nearby bus shelter, which serves 1,800 buses a day, then opened fire upon the crowd. The explosions sent shards of glass from the bus shelter across a wide area.

"I heard a loud boom," said witness Dimitri Degryse. "I thought it was something on my car that was broken or something. Then a few seconds after a second boom, and I saw all the glass breaking, I saw people running, screaming."

As soon as the shooting began, hundreds fled the square as well as a nearby Christmas market. Video from the scene showed people, including a large group of children, rampaging through the city center to seek cover, some still carrying shopping bags.

As police hunted for possible accomplices, residents were ordered to stay in their homes or seek shelter in shops or public buildings. As sirens howled and a police chopper roared overhead, a medical post was set up in the nearby courtyard of the Prince Bishops courthouse. Dozens of emergency vehicles took victims away for treatment.

Police closed off the area but found no accomplices and calm returned a few hours after.