"Bachelorette" contestant Kasey Kahl sentenced for bar fight

Kasey Kahl, from the reality TV show "The Bachelorette," is seen in a booking photo on Jan. 15, 2012, in Fresno, Calif. Fresno Police Department via Getty

Former "Bachelorette" contestant Kasey Kahl will avoid jail time after pleading no contest to battery stemming from a bar fight in Fresno, Calif.

The Fresno Bee reports Kahl, 30, entered the plea Thursday to a felony count of battery causing bodily injury. An assault count was dismissed.

He was sentenced to 180 days of community service.

Kahl was accused of breaking a man's nose during a fight at Club Habanos last year. His attorney, Gerald Schwab, says his client acted in self-defense.

"He does a lot of charity work," Schwab said, according to the Fresno Bee. "He is a good kid with a good heart, he just got himself in a bad situation."

Kahl was a contestant on the ABC reality TV show "The Bachelorette" in 2010. He also appeared as part of the cast of "Bachelor Pad."