Watch CBSN Live

Ariel Castro Update: Interrogation video reveals possible missed opportunities to catch Cleveland kidnapper

Aug. 1, 2013 file photo shows Ariel Castro in the courtroom during the sentencing phase of his trial in Cleveland. He was convicted of holding 3 women captive in his home and raping them over a decade.
Ariel Castro in the courtroom during the sentencing phase of his trial in Cleveland, Aug. 1, 2013. AP Photo/Tony Dejak, file

(CBS/AP) COLUMBUS, Ohio - Interrogation videos obtained by NBC reveal that Cleveland kidnapper Ariel Castro told authorities they missed opportunities to catch him while he held three women captive for more than a decade in a house with boarded up windows.

PICTURES: Disturbing new photos from inside Castro home

Castro says in the video that he called the mother of Amanda Berry, one of his captives, and told the woman her daughter was alive and had become his wife, according to interrogation tapes. He says he made the call on Berry's cell phone.

"I think I said something ... that I have her daughter and that she's OK, and that she's my wife now - something like that, you know, probably not the exact words," he told investigators.

When asked for the mother's response, Castro said: "I hung up so we didn't have a conversation."

CBS affiliate WOIO has reported that Berry's mother, Louwanna Miller, said someone called her a week after Amanda went missing from her daughter's cell phone.

Castro, 53, was a month into his life sentence when he committed suicide Tuesday night. His family collected his body from the Franklin County Coroner's office Friday.

In the interrogation video, Castro tells investigators that authorities missed opportunities for catching him while he held the kidnapped women, who were ages 14, 16 and 20 when captured.

Castro said cameras at the school of victim Gina DeJesus should have captured him there 15 minutes before she was abducted.

"You could have broke the case right then and there," he said.

Castro also said a girlfriend noticed a TV on in a room occupied by victim Michelle Knight and got him worrying he might be caught.

"Was it a close call?" an investigator said.

"Yeah," he said.

A message was left with representatives of the victims Friday morning.

The "Today" show report also provides additional details about a 2004 note Castro wrote that investigators found when they searched the house. "I want to put an end to my life and let the devil deal with me," a section of the note reportedly read.

Two state reviews are underway in the wake of Castro's suicide, according o Ohio prisons spokeswoman JoEllen Smith. One is looking into the suicide itself, and the other is examining whether Castro received proper medical and mental health care leading up the suicide.

Castro was sentenced on Aug. 1 to life in prison plus 1,000 years after pleading guilty to 937 counts, including kidnapping and rape, in a deal to avoid the death penalty. "I'm not a monster. I'm sick," he told the judge at sentencing.

Castro's captives - Berry, DeJesus and Michelle Knight - disappeared separately between 2002 and 2004. They were rescued from Castro's run-down house May 6 when Berry broke through a screen door.

Investigators said the women were bound, repeatedly raped and deprived of food and bathroom facilities.

Complete coverage of the Cleveland kidnapping case on Crimesider