ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- New Mexico's attorney general is launching an investigation into how the school system in the state's largest city hired a high-level administrator who faces child sex abuse charges.
Attorney General Hector Balderas will announce Monday his office will look into why Albuquerque Public Schools' safety protocols were breached and Jason Martinez was hired in June before a background check was completed. Martinez was hired as the district's Deputy Superintendent, CBS affiliate KRQE reported.
Martinez resigned abruptly last week. It later surfaced that he faces six felony counts of sexual assault on a child in Colorado.
A lawyer for Karen Rudys, interim assistant superintendent for human resources, says the district's superintendent, Luis Valentino, was informed multiple times about Martinez refusing to complete his background check and Valentino ignored those concerns.
The school board met behind closed doors for five hours Sunday.
Valentino and a district spokesman didn't immediately respond to emails seeking comment Monday.
KRQE reported that hundreds of Albuquerque Public Schools parents signed a petition to have Valentino ousted.
"We made a sign that says fire all the frauds, pedophiles and co-conspirators at APS," one parent told KRQE in the lobby outside the meeting where the board members met earlier in the day.
"Disappointment," Jacob Gil, a parent said, "Disappointment in, you know, APS for not doing due diligence in his background."
Gil and his wife have started an online petition on Change.org that calls for Valentino's removal.
"If this gentleman cannot make such a dry cut decision in having the people around children be cleared security wise, you know, what other decisions is he capable of making," he told KRQE.