Watch CBS News

Jamar Clark's Alleged Victim Under Scrutiny

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) -- RayAnn Hayes insists Jamar Clark did not beat her the night of Nov. 15, 2015.

Related: Exclusive: Alleged Jamar Clark Victim Speaks Out

"First they're saying that I said he didn't do it, then it says on page 12 it says she did do it. What do you mean?" Hayes said. "I never once said he did it, not one time, not one time to anyone … because it didn't happen."

She says the two were friends and at a party together when she stepped in the middle of an argument.

"I twisted my ankle, I fell and hit the side of the door thing and bust my lip," Hayes said. "I was tipsy, I'm not going to lie."

She called the ambulance an hour and a half later because she says she could not walk.

"It's not … an emergency, I can't walk," Hayes said in the 911 call.

Related: Timeline Of The Jamar Clark Case

Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman says officers were told a different story about how Hayes was injured.

"The police officers as they arrived were briefed that there's a woman in an ambulance who had been abused by this man," Freeman said. "He was interfering with their treatment and they were scared of him."

And Hayes had yet another story later on the same day Jamar Clark was shot, telling Minneapolis Police investigators that Clark "head butted me," and that is how she hurt her lip.

"I never talked to any police, any news people, no one except for Chris Olson [with the BCA]," she said.

Everything Hayes told WCCO matches what she told investigators with the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. But transcripts from an interview conducted by Minneapolis Police investigators the day after Clark was shot show Hayes changed her story at least three times.

"The next thing I know I'm being shoved to the ground and getting beat against the floor. When I got up [Clark was] like, 'Oh I'm sorry, I thought you were somebody else,'" Hayes told police.

Related: Hennepin Co. Att'y Shares Previously Unreleased Clark Videos

When questioned again, Hayes said, "I had my own words, I'm telling you what happened, no one beat me."

She claims she remembers very little after she hurt her foot.

"They were telling me at the hospital, I'm under all these painkillers, they're like, 'Yeah, he was trying to attack you in the ambulance,' and for a minute I thought that, you know, because I'm still trying to think off the medication. I don't take pain pills like that," Hayes said.

There is audio from the original interview from two days after Clark was shot that has not yet been made available.

The transcript had many instances where Hayes' testimony was inaudible.

She is sticking to her story that Clark did not beat her, and he was not the aggressor the night he was shot.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.